Ferns with Bertrand Black – Naturalist Journeys Online Presentation Series
February 16, 2022 @ 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Ferns with Bertrand Black
Part of the Naturalist Journeys 2021-22 Winter Presentation Series
February 16 | 6 – 7 pm EST | Free | Live via ZOOM
JOIN HERE: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89045735802
About Bertrand: I am from Santa Fe, NM. I received a Bachelor of Science (2017) from Humboldt State University in Arcata CA, where I double majored in Botany and Biology with an emphasis on ecology and biodiversity. In the redwood forests of northern California, I became captivated by the ferns and other non-flowering plants. My undergraduate research focused on tissue culture, fern gametophyte morphology (using scanning electron microscopy), and chromosome staining in a hybrid complex of the genus Polypodium. In my free time, I enjoy cooking Japanese food, visiting museums, and staying active through hiking and yoga.
My research interests have been greatly influenced by the life and work of the famous 18th century naturalist Alexander von Humboldt. Like Humboldt, I seek to maintain a holistic approach to my research by unifying diverse branches of scientific disciplines, such as systematics, ecology, and evolutionary biology. In 2019, I joined the Barrington-Sundue Lab at the University of Vermont as a PhD student to uncover and characterize diversity, taxonomy and distribution of extant fern lineages. Currently, my research is focused on a model-based approach to explain patterns of fern diversity, in addition to a reexamination of Athyrium (Athyriaceae) systematics in temperate North America and the neotropics.
This program is made possible by our local sponsors:
Tech Tips for ZOOM Webinars
- A computer desktop with speakers or a laptop works best.
- You will need to install Zoom before the meeting begins.
- When you log into the meeting, you’ll be in a “waiting room” until the presentation begins.
- Once you’ve been admitted to the presentation, click the “Join Audio” button in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Please keep your microphones on mute and your video off.
- See Our Website for links to other upcoming webinars