“The best part? Seeing the magnificent country… Smelling the sagebrush and stinky paint pots, tasting the huckleberries, feeling sticky pine resin and slick petrified wood, watching weather pile in over the Tetons, and Greater Sage Grouse dancing on their leks…. savoring the grandeur and the silence, and learning from a seasoned naturalist how it all fits together.”
—Judy Brook, a participant on NBNC’s trip to Yellowstone
Exploring the Natural World
N ature rewards us with endless delight, astonishment. and perspective on how to live well. North Branch Nature Center helps people of all ages connect with nature through a huge menu of programming for all ages, interests, and backgrounds. We offer outings, presentations, classes, and festivals to get Vermonters of all stripes outside and immersed among our wild places and faces. Click on the program areas below for upcoming events.
Immerse Yourself in Nature with NBNC
- We offer an ever-changing menu of classes, workshops, and multi-day seminars designed to engage our community more deeply in the natural world.
- Join our regional outings to visit wild destinations to search for rare species, grand migrations, natural history mysteries, and fascinating stories in our more-than-human world.
- We illuminate nature’s weirdest and wildest complexities in presentations to deepen our connection with nature. Our 100-seat community room brings natural wonders from across the world into our beautiful, indoor learning environment.
- NBNC has a rich tradition of birding programs. Join morning bird walks, field trips to regional hotspots, adventures to international birding destinations, or participate in our songbird and owl research.
- Our Young Naturalists embark on regular outings to ecological hotspots and rare natural communities. This group, ages 8 - 18, competes in birding competitions, assist scientific research, and travel around the world.
- Join NBNC on life-changing adventures afar. For the past 15 years, NBNC has led small-group trips to tropical rainforests, desert islands, rugged mountains, and even active volcanoes in search of nature’s most magnificent moments.
- Our community nature celebrations like BirdFest and CaterpillarFest feature something for everyone. Our once-a-decade Montpelier BioBlitz is among New England's largest gatherings of nature lovers.
“Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it
for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.”
— Wendell Berry, A Place on Earth