ECO Institute: Nature-Based Routines for Outdoor Classrooms
July 31 @ 8:00 AM - August 4 @ 4:00 PM$1300
Instructors: Arianna Dayharsh & Jenna Plouffe
July 31 – August 4
$1300 ($1750 with 3 graduate credits)
Class Size: 12-20 students
For preschool and kindergarten educators
This course applies early childhood learning curricula beyond the classroom, while immersing in and participating with nature as a learning partner. The course provides inquiry-based learning through intensive experiential lessons, provocations and discussions held entirely outdoors. Participants will:
- Build the core routines of an outdoor classroom to feel competent managing their own nature immersion curriculum outdoors.
- Practice conducting site and risk assessments and practice safety protocols within the context of an outdoor classroom.
- Address potential logistical challenges in starting a program.
- Share songs, games, stories and resources to support a nature immersion curriculum.
- Provide time for collaboration among participants to create a project/program of their own.
- Engage in dialogue around methods of connecting children with their natural communities in order to support a nature pedagogy.