COVID-19 and NBNC
May 15 Update - NBNC Summer Camps Cancelled
We are very sorry to report that NBNC’s Board of Directors, in consultation with NBNC staff and our COVID-19 task force, have decided to cancel our 2020 Summer Camps as of May 15, 2020.
As an organization devoted to connecting people with nature, NBNC has always carefully considered the risks and benefits of various activities, always with a primary focus on protecting the health and safety of our campers, their families, and our staff.
As you know, Governor Scott recently decided to make camps allowable this summer. However, under the current circumstances, including the state’s recommendations for continued social distancing, we are simply not confident that we can adequately ensure the health, safety, and well-being of our hundreds of campers and our staff.
We know how much your kids love camp, and how much they need it — more so this year than ever. We also understand that most parents depend upon camp in order to work, knowing that your kids are being cared for while they learn and have fun. Please know that there is nothing our staff would rather do this summer than romp in the fields and woods with your kids, teaching them about salamanders and how to plant trees, and returning them safely to you — muddy, exhausted, and happy — each afternoon.
Though there is no real replacement for camp, we are exploring several alternatives to help you and your children enjoy the outdoors this summer.
We hope that you are holding up OK in this unprecedented situation. We would love to hear from you if you have feedback about this decision or our other programming by email. We look forward to reconnecting with you and your children in the near future.
Chip Darmstadt, Executive Director
April 14 Update:
We are pleased to announce that NBNC Online is now open and freely available to everyone in our community, thanks to the generous contributions to the NBNC Resiliency Fund, our urgent fund to keep NBNC operational and support our staff during these difficult times.
Our deepest gratitude goes out to all those who have made this possible. Thank you on behalf of all of us at NBNC for your help as we work hard to care for our community, and the natural world, in unprecedented times.
Please join us in celebrating this milestone by inviting your friends, families, colleagues, and community to visit NBNC Online and take advantage of the webinars, videos, songs, stories, and activities for all ages that our staff have been tirelessly developing.
If you have yet to contribute to our Resiliency Fund, please consider doing so. We still need your help -- we've reached the first landing, but there are a few flights left to go.
- NBNC programs have been postponed. This includes: Forest Preschool, Robin’s Nest Playgroup, ECO, Explorers, Trekkers, and all in-person lectures and fundraisers.
- We are working to move some programs online — including the content of our upcoming Amphibian Monitoring Volunteer Training (March 18). Stay tuned for additional online offerings to come.
- Our buildings are closed to the public and all facilities rentals are suspended.
- NBNC staff will be working almost entirely from our homes and/or outdoors. We will be conducting business online and by phone and mail. Please reach out with questions and concerns.
- The good news — and wow, do we all need a little good news right now: Our preserve and trails are open! We know how vitally important access to nature is for each of us in this stressful time. Please stay home if you are sick, and please (as always) keep your dogs on leashes.
Resources and Online Programming
Though our doors our closed, we will be doing our best to provide teachers, families, and community members with resources to continue engaging in our natural world virtually. Visit NBNC Online to see what we're working on!