Wasps - Misunderstood Marvels
- Learn to identify many of the common families and species of wasps in New England.
- Gain a better understanding of wasps' complex ecosystem roles and symbioses.
- Learn about the complex life cycles of wasps.
- Spend time in the fields around NBNC identifying wasps and witnessing some of their behaviors.
- Learn how to safely capture, handle, and photograph wasps.
- Discover the complex relationship wasps have with humans from food to medical research.
- Leave with a better appreciation and love for these astounding insects.
About the Instructor(s)
We will provide coffee, tea, and light breakfast fare (pastries, etc.) each morning. Participants should bring their own lunches and snacks.
Course begins 9 AM on Saturday at North Branch Nature Center. Course begins on Sunday at a time of the instructors' choosing. Course concludes by 5 PM on Sunday.
Academic Credit / Professional Development
This course may qualify for 1 graduate-level credit for an additional $200 course fee. All BioU courses are accredited by Castleton University. Participants interested in receiving credit must contact us at least 2 months in advance so we have time to arrange course accreditation.
It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that home institutions will accept the credit. Participants pursuing academic credit will be required to complete an additional assignment above and beyond the course hours, including literature review, reflective writing, or a field-based project.
This course qualifies for 20 hours of professional development hours and continuing education units. Certificates of completion are provided at the conclusion of the course.
While we realize that unexpected circumstances arise that are out of our control, North Branch Nature Center cannot guarantee refunds for registrations cancelled within 30 days of the course. If a cancellation occurs within this window, NBNC will attempt to fill the space from our wait list and provide a full refund. Exceptions to this policy may be granted in the event that cancellation is due to COVID-19 concerns.