Digital Photography for Naturalists
earn to better harness your camera and your artistic imagination to improve your nature photography and expand your naturalist skill set. In this course, we’ll delve into each part of the nature photography workflow, including conception, composition, exposure, camera technique, editing, and production. We’ll visit local natural areas in the morning and evening to take advantage of prime photography light, then return to the nature center for post-processing, evaluation, and instructional topics designed around the interests and experience of the group. Participants will leave with a group-critiqued portfolio of beautiful photographs, and a powerful new approach to walking in the north woods.
- Participants will gain new techniques and frameworks for composing, photographing, and processing images of the natural world.
- Participants will develop or strengthen their full artistic workflow by establishing and mastering routines and techniques that capitalize on each individual’s style and interests.
- Practice techniques for mastering creative use of shutter speed, aperture, focus, and exposure.
- Instruction in topical subjects such as macro photography, wildlife photography, insects, botany, landscapes, etc. Topics chosen based on student interest.
- Instruction and practice in post-processing technique and workflow.
- Field-based photography activities exploring the intersection of composition technique and natural history investigation.
- Develop fluency in analyzing and critiquing photographs via group evaluation of photographs taken during this course.
About the Instructor(s)
Sean Beckett is a professional naturalist photography guide who brings travelers to see and photograph North America’s powerful landscapes and charismatic wildlife. Sean leads expeditions with the World Wildlife Fund and Natural Habitat Adventures, and spends the bulk of his guiding seasons in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. Sean is an artisan at Burlington’s Frog Hollow gallery, and owns Green Mountain Exposure, a Vermont-based photography and photo instruction business. Sean received his M.S. from University of Vermont’s Field Naturalist graduate program, and holds a bachelor’s degree in Biology and Environmental Studies. Sean is North Branch Nature Center’s Staff Naturalist and Program Director.
Due to continued concerns around COVID-19, meals and beverages will not be provided this year. We ask that you please bring your own food.
Required Materials and Recommended Reading
No required readings, though participants will be asked to submit a few favorite photos in advance of the course.
Participants are required to bring a laptop with photo editing software. This course will primarily use Adobe Lightroom Classic, but alternatives are fine, as long as the participant is comfortable using their software.
Course begins 9 AM on Thursday at North Branch Nature Center. Course begins on Friday at a time of the instructor's choosing. Course concludes by 5 PM on Friday.
Academic Credit / Professional Development:
This course qualifies for 1 graduate-level science credit for an additional $150 course fee. All BioU courses are accredited by Castleton University. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that home institutions will accept the credit. Participants pursuing academic credit will be required to complete an additional assignment above and beyond the course hours, including literature review, reflective writing, or a field-based project.
This course qualifies for 20 hours of professional development hours and continuing education units. Certificates of completion are provided at the conclusion of the course.
While we realize that unexpected circumstances arise that are out of our control, North Branch Nature Center cannot guarantee refunds for registrations cancelled within 30 days of the course. If a cancellation occurs within this window, NBNC will attempt to fill the space from our wait list and provide a full refund. If the course needs to be cancelled within 30 days of the program, NBNC will provide a full refund. If you need to cancel due to concerns related to COVID-19, a full refund will be provided up to 48 hours before the course.