Title: Summer Field Staff
North Branch Nature Center is seeking qualified individuals to teach and lead campers ages 4 to 14 during our 2017 summer camp season. Field staff will be responsible for leading group games, arts and crafts, sensory awareness activities, storytelling and singing, as well as teaching lessons in natural history and field studies. As part of the camp staff team, you will also serve as a mentor to Counselors in Training. All staff will participate in a 5 day pre-camp staff training. As a staff member at NBNC you hold a position of great responsibility and importance to the success of our summer day camp programs. Your warmth, enthusiasm, willingness to share knowledge, and sensitivity to the needs of each camper profoundly influences every day of camp. We are looking for staff prospects that not only fulfill these criteria, but also have a genuine love for nature and the outdoors.
- At least 18 years of age
- BS or BA degree, some undergraduate coursework and experience, or extensive life experience in teaching/instructing in an outdoor environment.
- Be willing to not only serve as a mentor to campers but to Counselors In Training as well.
- Experience communicating with parents and caregivers.
- Experience in childhood education, environmental education and/or science background .
- Be patient, energetic, fun-loving, hardworking, and have a sense of humor.
- Experience in time management, planning a schedule, and working out logistics.
- Maintain a positive and appropriate attitude as well as highest morale character around children and staff at all times
- Be willing and able to put the needs of others before your own.
- Be flexible and able to work well with others, maintain open and effective communication.
- Minimum of Red Cross certification in standard first aid and CPR required.
Dates of Employment: 5 days of mandatory staff training, June 19th- 23rd. Camp begins June 26th and the ends on August 18th.
Pay: $11 per hour, 40 hours per week, 9 total weeks
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and three references by March 1st to:
Title: Summer Camp Counselor-in-training (CIT)
The North Branch Nature Center is looking for several energetic and responsible teens to serve as camp counselors during our summer day camp season.
The camp counselor-in-training will be responsible for the following:
- serving as a role model for younger children
- acting as an assistant to the summer camps instructors during camp hours
- helping with projects – arts & crafts, cooperative games, reading and other informal activities
- helping to supervise small groups of campers on trails during hikes and other camp activities
- helping to supervise the children during lunch, cleaning up after snack and lunch time
- participating in a camp staff orientation and training program
As a camp counselor-in-training, you must:
- be at least 14 years old
- enjoy and have some experience working with children
- enjoy learning about nature
- show interest and experience working and playing outdoors
- be able to take initiative and follow through with responsibilities
- participate in a mandatory counselor training and orientation, date TBA
- work a minimum of two camp sessions during the summer
- $25 gift certificate per week to a store of your choice for first year CIT’s and $50 gift certificate per week for returning CIT’s.
- training and supervision by experienced educators – including written evaluation of your performance during the camp week(s)
- Write a ½ page cover letter explaining why you are interested in becoming a CIT and what you hope to learn through the program and send it to email@example.com